Drop-In Learn to Skate
Community skating rinks are now open.
Come for a drop-in-learn to skate session.
Sessions are family oriented, but all are welcome. Skates and helmets are not provided but both are required to participate.
When: Now until Feb. 26
Where: Various, including several locations near us such as Glenora, Glenwood and Lynnwood
See: www.edmonton.ca for details.
Click to view the poster.
West Jasper-Sherwood Seniors Citizens Club
* Mondays from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. for Carpet Bowling;
* Wednesdays from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. for Whist;
* The first and third Wednesday of the month from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. for Cribbage Tournaments;
* The second and fourth Wednesday of the month from 6:00 to 9:30 p.m. for Progressive Rummy;
* If there is a fifth Wednesday in the month, players will be notified the previous week if Progressive Rummy will be played on that date
Jasper Place Historic Resources Inventory
Do you remember this scene?
The City of Edmonton, with Heritage Consultants, Donald Luxton & Associates, are launching an exciting project to develop a Historic Resources Inventory for the Jasper Place area (which includes the Britannia-Youngstown, Canora, Glenwood and West Jasper Place neighbourhoods). The consultant team will be working closely with community stakeholders over the next four months to develop a historic context and list of up to 44 historic resources in the community that can be added to the City’s Historic Resources Inventory. Sites on the City’s inventory are not legally protected, but are eligible for designation (by the owner’s request) which will allow them access to funding at the city and provincial level. The consultant team is interested in hearing from you to help build the historical profile for the community. If you have any historical photographs of the neighbourhood, or old documents relevant to the former Town of West Jasper Place (incorporated in 1950) or any other aspect of the neighbourhood, please contact us at the below email or phone number.
We are also undertaking interviews of early members of the community so if you know of anyone of interest, please let us know. We will be providing updates through the West Jasper Place Community League Communication Director over the next few months. Please stay tuned for details on an upcoming Open House in the new year.
Over the next couple of months, we will be in the neighbourhood taking pictures of houses and buildings. Please don’t hesitate to drop by and say hi.
We are very much looking forward to working in this important historical neighbourhood!
Laura Pasacreta, Branch Lead
Donald Luxton & Associates
403 457 4011
City of Edmonton Winter Excitement Guide 2017/2018
Click here for information on all the festivals and events taking place in Edmonton this winter season.
The community league's rinks are open.
Free to members, non-members a toonie a skate. If you don't have a membership, try out the ice, and then sign up.
Memberships may be purchased at the rink. Family - $30; Single (18+ years) - $15;
Senior (55+ years) - $5.
Free Use of Skates and Helmets:
- To be used on West Jasper/Sherwood Ice Rink only;
- For West Jasper Place and Sherwood residents as well as Kids on Track families;
- Must sign out with Rink Manager.
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Thursday: may be closed (one day a week per government regulations for employees)
- Saturday: 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Sunday: 12:00 noon to 6:00 p.m.
** Note: Private bookings for hockey teams, etc., phone Irene @ 780-489-2994.
Individuals under 18 years must wear a helmet. All skaters are encouraged to wear a helmet.
If temperatures drop to -20C (including the wind chill), the skating rink may close.
Adults are encouraged to accompany children 12 years and younger.