What's New in West Jasper/Sherwood?
Public Engagement Session: Valley Line West LRT
With construction of Valley Line Southeast between downtown and Mill Woods well underway, the City is preparing to have Valley Line West, between downtown and Lewis Farms, ready to build when additional funding is available. As part of this preparation, the Valley Line West team is refining and adjusting the preliminary design to adapt to changes that have occurred since the original work was completed in 2013.
Building on public engagement opportunities held last year, the City is inviting citizens to another public information and engagement session to update the community on planned revisions to the preliminary design, including LRT crossings, and to collect additional public input for City Council to consider. The material will cover the entire Valley Line West route, and will include the following updates:
- Further information on affected turning movements at Stony Plain Road and 156 Street arising from the recommended LRT alignment adjustment to a 90-degree turn at the intersection
- A recommendation for the LRT crossing at Stony Plain Road and 149 Street
- Information on what we heard for both locations (and others) in previous engagements
The drop-in style public open house will be held on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 from 6 - 8:30 pm at St. Paul’s Anglican Church, 10127 145 St.
For further information on Valley Line West, visit: edmonton.ca/valleylinewest.
Active Families - Community Winter Carnival
We are supporting a joint winter carnival with our nearby communities, following the great success last year.
When? Saturday, January 27, 2018 --- 1:00 - 4:00 PM
Where? Britannia Youngstown Community League (15927 - 105 Avenue)
What? Come join us for an afternoon of fun and exciting winter activities! Activities include sleigh rides, kick sledding. snowshoeing, skating, carnival games and a bonfire. We will also be serving chili and making bannock!
Cost? The event is entirely FREE!!!!
Registration? You DO NOT need to pre-register for this event. Just drop by between 1:00 and 4:00 PM to join in the festivities.
More info at: http://kidsontrack.org/programs/active-families/
The community league sign will post when our rink is officially open. Weather permitting, it should open early December. Paul, our Rink Manager from last year, has agreed to stay on for another year.
Free to members, non-members a toonie a skate. If you don't have a membership, try out the ice, and then sign up.
Memberships may be purchased at the rink. Family - $30; Single (18+ years) - $15;
Senior (55+ years) - $5.
Free Use of Skates and Helmets:
- To be used on West Jasper/Sherwood Ice Rink only;
- For West Jasper Place and Sherwood residents as well as Kids on Track families;
- Must sign out with Rink Manager.
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Thursday: may be closed (one day a week per government regulations for employees)
- Saturday: 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Sunday: 12:00 noon to 6:00 p.m.
** Note: Private bookings for hockey teams, etc., phone Irene @ 780-489-2994.
Individuals under 18 years must wear a helmet. All skaters are encouraged to wear a helmet.
If temperatures drop to -20C (including the wind chill), the skating rink may close.
Adults are encouraged to accompany children 12 years and younger.
West Jasper-Sherwood Seniors Citizens Club
* Mondays from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. for Carpet Bowling;
* Wednesdays from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. for Whist;
* The first and third Wednesday of the month from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. for Cribbage Tournaments;
* The second and fourth Wednesday of the month from 6:00 to 9:30 p.m. for Progressive Rummy;
* If there is a fifth Wednesday in the month, players will be notified the previous week if Progressive Rummy will be played on that date